This Mother’s day I was actually really busy with flat hunting and working so this cake actually I only spent about 6 hours over the night and morning but I did have a big helping hand from my lovely boyfriend =D

 

 
 
 
I had no idea what kind of cake I was going to do even once the cakes came out of the oven so it was a bit of a crazy mad rush! I eventually decided on making a present cake with a bow on the top. I have actually done this style of cake before in this post for a birthday cake so the idea is one that can be make for lots of different occasions! I ended up making it super girly and actually it would have been more suited to my style because I am quite a bit more girly and love pink!
 
 
 
 
 



I chose to do an apple cake spiced with cinnamon mainly because my mum likes eating apples and although I have tried an apple cake before it didn’t turn out right and so I needed a new apple cake recipe. I made a new style of icing actually called the Swiss Meringue Buttercream, flavoured with maple syrup and that was interesting to try out.  It is a meringue based buttercream, made by whisking egg whites and sugar over a heat and then adding your butter and flavourings. Both the cake recipe and the icing recipe were from the same website at Raspberri Cupcakes. She also has other amazingly gorgeous looking recipes to try!
 
There are a lot of tutorials on how to do the bow and I will probably do a bow tutorial the next time I do such a cake =) I guess it would have worked a bit better with gumpaste, as does most finiky icing work, but I think that marshmallow fondant is actually edible and yummy =)